- Fill out both the Generic and Specialist applications on line and forward by computer to the Central Office.
- Submit $125 Application Fee to the Central Office (see below).
- The Central Office checks your Credentials in the generic review. (Central Office may take up to three months for this review.)
- When passed by the Central Office, you become a “Candidate”.
- Your application is sent from the Central Office to the ABGP Exam Coordinator for a review of your group psychology education and experience.
- When passed by ABGP your application returns to the Central Office. (The ABGP may take up to two months for this review.)
- The ABGP Exam Coordinator ascertains that you have a mentor.
- The AGBP Exam Coordinator invites you to prepare a Practice Sample Statement (instructions in Download Related Documents) and Professional Statement.
- Submit $250 Practice Sample Fee directly to the Central Office.
- Send the Practice Sample and Professional Statement to ABGP’s Exam Coordinator (see below). If your Professional Sample includes a DVD of a group therapy session, send four unedited copies (that are compatible with Windows and Apple).
- The ABGP Exam Coordinator (with one additional board member) either passes or recommends revisions to your sample and statement. (The ABGP may take up to two months for this review.)
- Once passed, the ABGP Exam Coordinator informs the Central Office that you are ready for the Oral Exam.
- Submit $450 Oral Exam Fee to Central Office.
- The ABGP Exam Coordinator selects a Committee Chair.
- The Committee Chair chooses two additional members for your committee and arranges the day and time of exam. (The scheduling process may take up to two months.)
- Your Committee meets with you for a four hour collegial exam.
- The Central Office informs you of the results. (The administrative process may take up to one month.)
If you have further questions, please consult ABGP’s Exam Coordinator.
ABGP Exam Manual Appendices’ Forms
- Form A, p.58, ABGP Board Certification Process
- Form B, p.59, Credential Review Results Form
- Form C, p.60, Group Psychology Application
- Form D-1,p.64 Practice Sample Checklist
- Form D-2, p.65 Senior Option Checklist
- Form E, p.66 Professional Statement Checklist
- Form F, p. 67 Voluntary Consent Agreement
- Form G, p. 68 Rating Grid for Oral Exam Competency Areas
- Form H, p. 72, Practice Sample Review Results
- For further and more complete information, consult the Exam Manual
ABGP Exam Coordinators:
ABGP Central Office:
American Board of Professional Psychology
600 Market Street, Suite 201
Chapel Hill, NC 27516